Saturday, March 2, 2013

Why Do I Feel Hollow Inside?

What brings you happiness?

A week-end barbecue with the family.
A spree in a club dancing with friends.
Exchange of I-Love-Yous with somebody special.
Remarkable advancement in your career.
Your new iPhone 5.

And the list goes on...

Now I ask you this.
Despite the smiles and laughter you exude, do you still feel the void creeping within you?

Do you battle with the emptiness that resurfaces when the pleasures of the day dies down and your world falls into silence?

Do you often wonder why 'contentment' is impossible to come to understand?

If your answers to these questions are all yes, then the diagnosis is...

Your spiritual life is in a scatter.

What is spirituality?
I will not define spirituality literally. The way I have come to understand it, it is how we find comfort, inner peace, meaning and purpose in our lives. It is a connection to something greater beyond one's self.

Spirituality is not a common idealism rather it is an extension of our physical and mental being. The condition of these three - body, mind and spirit seems to affect each other.

Our spiritual self is tied to the two significant facets of our lives.

Relationship - It involves intangible connection with our inner self, with other people and with the greater power we recognize as God.
Purpose - We can never fully appreciate life's joys if we fail to understand this, if we fail to believe and realize our significance in this world.

I am a Christian living the Catholic faith but I am also a human being easily drawn to worldly pleasures. I was religious but my spiritual well-being was unhealthy. I went to masses, prayed the rosary, tried to live according to God's word yet I often find myself dealing with unending pile of questions in my head.

I was surrounded with love and blessings that went unrealized and unappreciated. I craved for something else beyond I could describe. I thought romance, money and unregulated enjoyment could patch up the holes in my heart. Yet none of those gave me the perfect solution.

As time passed, the thirst for something intensified that I decided to stray out from the routine. I started reading books about holistic transformation and through a friend, I stumbled upon a book (The Secret) written by Rhonda Byrne. She firmly elaborated the immense power of the mind to influence one's entire situation. The notion was overwhelming and life-changing yet I found the complete answers in the books written by Bo Sanchez.

Bo believes in the powerful force of the mind but above all else our deep love and connection to God has the most potent impact in our lives. He is indeed correct.

What was missing in my life is the desire to demonstrate my faith and understand more about God. The emptiness that we sometimes feel cannot be filled in with material things, romance, wealth, and not even earthly love because the gap can only be closed by  an ethereal relation to Him.

Attending the masses, praying the rosary or any religious practice is not enough to strengthen the bond with Him. Make Him the center of your life and seek Him first in everything you do and in what you are about to do. I confess that this was never easy at first because this should be practiced repeatedly to become habitual. Bask in his words and remind yourself daily that you are being loved and try to share that love to many and you will discover that the feeling of joy multiplies three-fold. The strength of your connection to the Father is characterized by the degree of your capacity to find your inner happiness.

I encourage you to find a group or community engaging in practices including prayer, development of personal values, defining purpose in life, molding self-esteem, maintaining healthy relationships with people, and honing a solid connection with the Heavenly Father.

I have found mine at "The Feast" where you can find the happiest people on Earth.

Check out the different venues of The Feast near you at http://www.lightfam.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment